EB-1B-Outstanding Professors and Researchers

As a professor or researcher, you may qualify for EB-1B. You must demonstrate international recognition for your outstanding achievements in a particular academic field. You must have at least 3-year experience in teaching or research in that academic area. You must be entering the United States in order to pursue tenure or tenure track teaching or comparable research position at a university or other institution of higher education.

You must meet 2 out of the 6 listed criteria below to prove extraordinary ability in your field:

  • Evidence of receipt of major prizes or awards for outstanding achievement
  • Evidence of membership in associations that require their members to demonstrate outstanding achievement
  • Evidence of published material in professional publications written by others about the alien’s work in the academic field
  • Evidence of participation, either on a panel or individually, as a judge of the work of others in the same or allied academic field
  • Evidence of original scientific or scholarly research contributions in the field
  • Evidence of authorship of scholarly books or articles (in scholarly journals with international circulation) in the field

Meeting the minimum requirement by providing at least two types of this evidence does not, in itself, establish that the alien in fact meets the requirements for classification as an Outstanding Professor or Researcher.  The USCIs will conduct a final determination of whether or not the alien is recognized internationally as outstanding in a specific academic area.

An offer of employment from the prospective U.S. employer is required.